Dealing with hair loss can be a difficult and stressful experience. If you have been searching for ways to restore the look of your hair, you may have come across scalp micropigmentation (SMP). As with any tattoo or permanent makeup procedure, it is important to have all the information you need before making a decision.
To help you make an informed choice, we have compiled a list of the 10 most frequently asked questions about scalp micropigmentation that people have searched for on Google.
1. What is scalp micropigmentation?
Scalp micropigmentation is a cosmetic tattooing procedure that involves depositing pigment into the scalp to create the appearance of hair follicles. This treatment can be used to create a shaven look or to camouflage areas that have thinning hair. You can learn more about hair loss at the American Hair Loss Association’s website.
2. How does scalp micropigmentation work?
Scalp micropigmentation works by applying small dots of pigment to the scalp using a micro needle. The pigment is matched to the color of your hair, creating the illusion of hair follicles. You can find a comprehensive explanation of the scalp micropigmentation treatment on our website.
3. Is scalp micropigmentation painful?
Scalp micropigmentation is generally considered to be a low-pain procedure. Some people may experience mild discomfort during the process. Numbing cream can be used to alleviate this. Most people experience a tingling on the scalp and don’t find the treatment painful. On a scale from 1-10, on average people say the SMP treatment is at most a 4 on the scale.
4. How much does scalp micropigmentation cost?
The cost varies depending on the provider you choose and the extent of the treatment required. On average, the cost ranges from $2000 to $5,000. Edge Scalp ink offers financing and payment plans for our procedures,. Visit our financing page to apply now.
5. How long does scalp micropigmentation last?
Scalp micropigmentation is considered to be a semi-permanent treatment, and results can last for several years. There will always be pigment on your scalp, but it may fade over time.
How long the treatment lasts depends on factors such as skin type, skin issues, lifestyle, and aftercare. Protecting your skin from long exposure to the sun is one of the best practices you can use to protect your pigment and make it last longer.
Typically, a person will need a touch-up in 3-5 years.
6. Is scalp micropigmentation safe?
Choosing the right scalp micropigmentation (SMP) artist is important for a successful and safe procedure. With SMP becoming much more popular, it’s crucial to know how to determine if an artist is qualified and safe.
To find a good SMP artist, you should:
- Check their credentials: Look for an artist who has had proper training and certification in SMP. Ask them about their education and training to make sure it is from a good source.
- Check their experience: SMP is a skill that gets better with experience. Ask the artist how many procedures they have performed, and look at pictures of their work to see if you like it.
- Check their reviews: Reading reviews from previous clients can help you learn about the artist’s skills and reputation. Make sure you read reviews on third-party websites or forums to ensure they are real. Check out our reviews.
- Check their facility: The artist’s workspace should be clean, organized, and follow all necessary health and safety guidelines. You should also ask to see the facility before the procedure to ensure it meets these standards.
- Check their aftercare instructions: A good SMP artist will provide detailed aftercare instructions to ensure proper healing and minimize the risk of complications.
It’s important to remember that the cost of the SMP procedure should not be the only factor you consider. You should prioritize the artist’s qualifications, experience, and quality of work. Visit our gallery for before and after photos of Edge Scalp Ink clients.
Overall, doing your research and asking the right questions can help you find a qualified and safe SMP artist. Be sure to look at the work of multiple artists, review their work, and trust your instincts before making a decision.
7. Who is a good candidate for scalp micropigmentation?
Scalp micropigmentation can be a suitable treatment option for men and women of all ages who are experiencing hair loss or baldness. It is particularly effective for those with thinning hair, receding hairlines, and alopecia. However, it is important to consult with a qualified provider to determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure. Zang SMP of Los Angeles provides a guide on who is a good candidate for scalp micropigmentation.
8. How do I choose a scalp micropigmentation provider?
Choosing the right provider is crucial for achieving successful and safe results from scalp micropigmentation. Look for providers who are licensed, qualified, and experienced in the procedure. Ask for before and after photos of their work. Some of Edge Scalp Ink’s clients have also asked to speak to former clients who could share their experience.
It is also important to read reviews and ask for before and after photos to ensure the provider has a good reputation.
Careful: some companies buy reviews and are not very forthcoming on the truth. With just a little digging, it is pretty easy to figure out which companies have fake reviews by the text of the review and who posted each review.
9. What is the recovery process like after scalp micropigmentation?
The recovery process for scalp micropigmentation is relatively short, with most people returning to their normal activities within a few days. It is important to follow the aftercare instructions your provider gives you to ensure proper healing and minimize the risk of complications. In Maryland it is illegal for a SMP provider to not provide clear aftercare instructions after the first treatment.
10. Are there any side effects of scalp micropigmentation?
Very common side effects are some redness and a whole lot of confidence. A vast majority of clients are able to return to their normal activities right after each treatment.
Scalp micropigmentation can be an effective treatment for hair loss, but it is important to have all the information you need before making a decision. We hope to have helped you make an informed choice about this procedure. Remember to consult with a qualified provider and follow the aftercare instructions to achieve successful and safe results.
If you have any questions or concerns, send us a note.